Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I am looking into buying a cutco hunting knife. Are they a good brand to go with, or a waste of money?

Great for the kitchen because of the blade design (DD), but that would be lousy when trying to gut a deer. Their standard blades are not worth the money they charge. A good carbon steel open blade knife is all you need. $20-30I am looking into buying a cutco hunting knife. Are they a good brand to go with, or a waste of money?
Hello,


I sell cutco. I use my cutco knives everyday. I bought a hunting knife in the bright orange for my uncle's birthday. He loved it and said it works great. If your interested i can write up an order for you. Also just so you know there is a life time warranty on the cutco knifes.

Report Abuse


I am looking into buying a cutco hunting knife. Are they a good brand to go with, or a waste of money?
I'm not familuar with that brand, although I have been using knives for many years and now I'll only buy carbon steel knives.


The SS used in knife making has gotten better but it will not hold an edge as well as good carbon steel.


The best stainless I have found is AUS8A and it seems to be much better than the 440A types many makers use. I've herd some good reports about the stainless knives coming out of Germany but no first hand expirence.


The last knife I bought was a Marbles and the blade steel is something to behold, I can field dress a deer and then skin and quater it and the knife will still shave hair from my arm.


I have never had a SS blade that would do this without several touchups. Glenn
very good choice! I have a kitchen set and I love them!
cutco is the worlds finest knives. proven over and over again or they would not be called the worlds finest since 1949. they would be out of business by know. cutco is the #1 selling brand in the word with over 15 million satisfied customers. a forever guarantee that cutco will sharpen and replace any knife for free at anytime. all my friends and family own and love cutco and 99% of people who own it love it. it is a very good product and if you are intrested i have a i know a rep that works for cutco and is very nice and i would be glad to have her get ahold of you and get you a knife that i knowyou will enjoy.
buy it
They are very good knives but are overpriced because of the way they are marketed.
I have a cutco set, and I do like the knives. But, it's my belief that you can get just as good a knife for a lesser price. Were you planning on the DD edge or the straight edge? For the DD i would recommend Cutco, they are good knives but you will not be able to sharpen it. If you were thinking of a straight edge I would go with a good Buck hunting knife instead.
Hello





It depends on your definition of ';good';. Are they sharp? Definitely. Are they ';the best';? I would say no, but what is best to one person is not best to another. I know a lot about them, having sold them off and on for near 20 years. So I can tell you that the steel is 440C, a very good steel for sharpness and stain resistance. The best? No, there are better grades of steel that are sharper. But, they can be more difficult to sharpen. And this is one of the two areas where Cutco stands out.


On the hunting knife they have a DD edge (stands for double durable). The very tips are dull to protect the actual sharp cutting edge, which is recessed just below those dull tips. This keeps the edge from taking unecessary harmful friction, which is what dulls an edge. Unless you are constantly forcing it through bone, shoving it in the ground or using it to saw limbs out of your shooting path, this edge will last you for years, and many game animals gutted and or skun out. Think my brother did like 27 deer before having to have his resharpened by the factory! Which they will do for the cost of return shipping (like $5)


The other area Cutco stands out is in their warranty of the product. They have a Forever Guarantee on all their products (they're mostly known for their kitchen knives). Basically, if the knife is defective in materials or craftmanship (ie it rusts, breaks, falls apart etc) under normal useage, they will replace it free of charge - forever! You don't have to be the original purchaser, or even have a receipt. You could find one in the woods and send it in if its defective, and they will give you a new one. And yes, they honor this guarantee. I have literally sent in over 200 knives in my career and they sent me back many a brand new knife. Some I knew I would get a new knife because it was obvious. Other times tthey surprised me because all I thought would happen is that it would get buffed, polished and sharpened . So, they are extremely good about the guarantee.


Pricey? Yeah, they aren't cheap. But when you look at what you get out of a knife that is going to serve you for 20, 30 or more years, its a solid deal. Better yet, it does what it was supposed to do - field dress and skin your game with ease. So, from that basis - service and length of use - they are a solid buy.


That said, here's my sales pitch. LOL I have numerous Cutco hunting, fishing and sporting knives that I have gathered in my 20 year career. Many of them are rare and discontinued - like a brand new #62 hunting knie from the 50's, a near mint #1063 Fish Filet knife from the 60's; a brand new 1765 hunter (looks like a Puma White Hunter and is way beefier than the current hunter. The blade is literally twice the thickness!); and also many folding hunters like the Stag and Rosewood Bullwhips; a super rare Blue Pakkawood that is extra beefy and lots more in pocket knives, kitchen wares and accesories like letter openers, an electric carving knife, etc, etc! I also have many of thecurrent line of Cutco sport knives at a price well discounted from their retail (I still have last years price list, so I know current pricing and I make sure to beat it on the new stuff) Ok, sales pitch over. ;)


If I have not answered all of your questions on what you would like to know about Cutco's hunting knife, feel free to email me with more questions. And if you are not interested in my wares, I am not one of those super pushy guys who hounds someone for a sale. I have them posted here in my area and I'm selling a lot of them to people who are already familiar with the brand. I even sold a hunting knife to a guy in England!





Hope this helps,


Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment