Saturday, August 21, 2010

Does having two majors really benefit you in terms of job hunting, careers, and/or grad school or no?

I'm considering adding a second major. I'm already a semester ahead of schedule so adding the second major would only set me back one semester (and if I take summer courses it won't set me back at all). I would love to have both majors and don't mind putting an extra semester in if it will help me in the future as far as in my professional career or graduate school admissions, but if it really won't make a difference then I don't want to put in the extra time or have my family spend the extra money.





If it's relevant my major is Communications and my minor is English but I'm considering making English into the second major instead of a minor.Does having two majors really benefit you in terms of job hunting, careers, and/or grad school or no?
In terms of the working world, a double major will probably not make a difference.





As to graduate school, it depends if you'll be considering programs in Communication or English.





If you're planning on graduate work in English, you will benefit greatly (in terms of admissions) from an English major. If you're planning on graduate work in Communication, an additional major will not make that much of a difference.





Best wishes to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment